USC provides students access to world-class faculty, research opportunities and internship programs. Transfer students enjoy supreme opportunities, both inside and outside the classroom at USC. The admission rate of transfer students is quite low thus making it highly competitive. USC is looking out for students having leadership skills and outstanding talents.
In 2019, the number of transfer applications received was 9503 out of which only 24.57% made it through. Out of the 2335 students accepted, 1446 students enrolled. To round it off, for every 100 applicants, 25 were accepted. To know more about the USC transfer acceptance rate, visit the website of Campus Reel. It includes detailed information of transfer process.
Prerequisites that boost your chances of transfer acceptance:
- Attend at least 1 year of full-term academic coursework with high grades. The average GPA for transfer students admitted was 3.7 in 2017. Strong academic performance with consistent progress is preferred.
- Complete Writing 130
- The minimum Math requirement in high school is either having a mastery of Algebra II or having a grade C or higher grade in Intermediate Algebra.
- Meet USC General Education requirement with satisfactory progress.
- Some majors require the completion of lower-division courses. If you are pursuing a degree in engineering, science, architecture, business or dental hygiene, be aware about the lower-division courses required.
- Non-native English speakers are required to demonstrate their English language proficiency by taking one of the recommended English proficiency tests.
Recommended time to transfer:
USC accepts junior and sophomore transfer students. You get to experience USC for a longer duration and gain access to more opportunities. If your high school academic record falls short of USC requirements, take up a solid undergraduate coursework at a different institute and position yourself as a stronger candidate.
Checklist for transfer:
- Common Application
- International students should submit their school leaving certificate or a copy of their diploma Students who haven’t’ yet completed high school are also required to submit a copy of their completion certificate and may also include a letter of explanation.
- All official college transcripts
- Applicants who have completed fewer than 30 semester units of college works are required to submit their ACT or SAT score
- Letters of recommendation are a mandatory requirement for few courses and optional for the rest.
- Some majors require portfolio, resume and additional writing samples
- Application affirmations
Helpful resources for transfer:
A good amount of planning is crucial for a successful transfer. There are checklists, worksheets, planning guide and brochures online to help with the transfer process.
Transfer planning brochure:
Helps to navigate the application and transfer process.
Interactive planning guide:
It contains information on lower-division courses required for certain majors and which courses satisfy USC’s General Education Courses.
Transfer planning worksheet:
It helps to keep track of the transferable courses completed and the ones currently in progress.
USC gives students extensive academic opportunities that prove highly beneficial even after graduation. USC guarantees a successful future.